Sunday is National Pet Day….
National Pet Day has been promoted by Taylor Swift, Ellen De Generes, Ricky Gervais, Cee Lo Green, Jimmy Fallon, Willy Nelson, Kevin Bacon, Seth Myers, and Carrie Underwood, among others.
Over the past 10 years, the National Institutes of Health has been involved in research to determine the physical and mental benefits of having a pet. Studies show that not only can pets steal our hearts, but they also contribute to overall cardiovascular health by lowering cortisol, cholesterol, and blood pressure levels.
What is the most popular pet?
1. The most popular pet in the U.S. is . . . a dog. 45% of people who own a pet have a dog. Cats are second, at 30%.
2. The rest of the 10 most popular pets are: Fish . . . birds . . . hamsters or gerbils . . . horses . . . snakes . . . guinea pigs . . . lizards . . . and tarantulas. Yes, around 1% of people who own a pet have a pet tarantula.
3. 10% of Americans say their pet is their best friend.
4. 11% of people say they specifically “hang out” with their pets.
5. And finally, 10% have conversations with their pets.